Friday, October 06, 2006

Fall is Here

This is the first applique piece that I did and had no idea how to do it!! So don't look too closely, it has LOTS of mistakes in it. LOL I didn't even know what kind of thread to use for the blanket stitch, so I just used regular sewing thread doubled. :D But in spite of it's quirkiness I love this quilt. Guess it will always have a special place in my heart since it was the start of what was to become my favorite form of quilting...needleturn applique. It's quite cool here today...had a storm come thru again last night, and it washed all of the haze from the air, so it's one of those perfectly clear Fall days. A few clouds floating around...a great day to get outside and putter around. I still have a lot of cleaning up to do outside, but I'm trying to do as the dr. ordered, and not get too excited about anything. LOL Hopefully, after I get next week's tests behind me, then I can get back to the outside chores.

9 comments:

joyce said...

We all have to start somewhere and it looks fine to me. I have never done any needleturn. I love my sewing machine but maybe some day...

Pam said...

I love all you fall wallhangings.
My favourite applique is needleturn as well - it is so much simpler to just turn the fabric and sew.

What is bushhogging?

Rabbit Stitchings said...

I have not done needleturn yet! I have always done a blanket stitch...but I plan on trying needle turn soon... I like the look of both kinds of applique :O)..

Your wallhanging looks good to me girly!

Marcie said...

I cannot believe how many cute pumpkin quilts you have! They are all darling! And then a man on a tractor to boot! You are in the groove! And your needle turn looks great!

jpquilter said...

hi there - just found your blog tonight and I love your folk art applique from the previous post - great colors. don't you just love applique? can't wait to see it with borders
happy weekend
Juliann

Linda_J said...

very cute--and from here it looks fine so I'll just have to take your word for any mistakes you may have made as a beginner or from being self taught.

Simonetta said...

Angie your jobs are adorable, really!

Libby said...

I'm getting caught up with my reading -- you have a great selection of pumpkin quilts. I like them all. I don't think I'll get to making one this year, but try to make a fall quilt (or whatever season/holiday) each year. Yours have given me new inspiration.

Finn said...

Hi Angie, good to be back to reading your posts. It seems like I should have been able to sit here and read and comment, but just didn't work with this particular "bug". But I'm feeling almost fully human again .. a week later..LOL.
All your project with pumpkins look wonderful..you very much see to have a style that loves primative...and that's neat. It goes well with needleturn applique!
Your rug came out very, very well. All the stitches look so perfect and even..you did a great job! And isn't it nice to be able to say "I made this"?..*VBS*
I'm approaching the finish on my second one, also round, and have a smaller "short scraps" one out to about 16" now. I used a small hook(I) and narrower strips (.50")...it looks and feels quite different.
Keep up the great work! Big hugs, Finn