Saturday, October 14, 2006

Guess How I Spent the Afternoon?

With a "weekend" neighbor who's MIL died not too long ago, and the MIL was a quilter, AND they had brought all of her quilty fabrics and notions down to their lakehouse for sorting. I spent the afternoon going thru tons of fabric, sorting by color, etc., and came home with a trunk full of scraps for doggie beds, small pieces that my neighbor didn't want to fool with, loads of pieces that have already been cut for a double wedding ring (which I haven't gotten up the nerve to try yet), and bunches of semi-assembled wedding ring sections (huge G), so I would imagine that now is the right time for me to try a double wedding ring!!! :D Also got a lot of muslin, and as my neighbor said, you know where there's tons more if you need it. :) I don't know this girl well, but I think that she would be a lot of fun to hang out with. I just can't convince her that she should try quilting. She says she doesn't have the patience for it but maybe, with all of those bins of fabric, she may change her mind. Or her 20+ year old daughter might. I have gotten her interested in crocheting a rag rug, and she picked out lots of Christmas fabrics for one of those. Hey Finn, I copied and took her your instructions that I made my rug by *G* and told her to go get her a P or Q hook, and I would be back to help her get that started. :) Anyway, it was a fun afternoon. Now tomorrow I REALLY have to get some laundry done, sort and toss a bunch of magazines (which is what I was working on when I got the call to play in fabric :D), and THEN maybe I can go in my sewing room for a few minutes. I REALLY REALLY want to use these bits and pieces of fabric that I got today to start another rug with!! And I want to piece some more leaves for my H-A-D leaf quilt. I'm also anxious to start working on the alternate block. Then there're my wool projects that I have neglected. I started hooking a small pumpkin, and I really would like to get that done by November. LOL However, as slow as I am sometimes, it may be NEXT November!! ROFL Anyway, it was a beautiful day outside, and I spent it in a large garage with the doors open to the lake and sun and fall foliage playing in fabric. Can it get any better than that? :D

12 comments:

joyce said...

Lucky you playing with all those fabrics. What are they going to do with all that fabric that you sorted?

Angie said...

As my neighbor laughed and said "if you come back next year, they will probably still be right there in those tubs on those shelves." LOL

Su Bee said...

Talk about fun play-days!! You can do laundry any old time, but play time like that doesn't pop up every day..I trust you volunteered your services anytime? LOL!!

Laurie said...

Angie,
It sounds like a great day!!! Thanks for your comments on my blog! I hope to see more of you!
Hugs
Laurie

Sharon said...

A thought to share with your new friend who doesn't think she has the patience for quilting: "Quilting teaches you patience!" That's what my Gramma told me years and years ago, and I have found it to be true. BUT - looks like I need to do more quilting, because I still am learning more patience!

Jenni @ Fairybread said...

Sounds to me like it doesn't get much better than that. Don't spoil the day with laundry.

Angie said...

Oh Sharon, I love that quote...and I'm with you, girlfriend, LOL I need to do LOTS more quilting...and I definitely need to learn more patience! LOL I left the laundry to today (15th), Jenni. I wasn't about to end a perfectly FUN day with chores...no way!! LOL

soccertxi said...

I love you blog! I wanted to ask if you have a favorite doggie bed pattern? I'm thinking of making a few for the family room ~ they already HAVE them in the bedroom! Your blog name reminded me of a t-shirt I saw... "You can tell a quilter by the threads that she wears" I bet if we met in the grocery store, we would look like sisters...clothes 'emblellished' with dog hair and quitling thread! I hope you are feeling better every day.

deputyswife said...

I looked through your blog and I love your rugs! I wish I could crochet... sigh...

Rabbit Stitchings said...

What fun to play in fabric for the afternoon!!!!There is something about just looking at fabric, folding it,organizing it etc. that is so fun!!

Shelina said...

Sounds like a great way to spend a beautiful afternoon. And a good motivation to work on a wedding ring quilt. I'm too scared to try one too.

Finn said...

Hi Angie, how wonderful that you got to help the neighbors daughter and also got some fabric out of it..*VBS* That's what quilter do...help and also share.
So great you are helping someone else get started with a crocheted rug! It's really not hard once you get going, is it??? *VBS*
Yours looks so terrific by the way..*VBS* Hope you feel up to all that you are planning. Hugs, Finn