Sunday, October 01, 2006

Happy October

I haven't decided where to put this runner yet :) Don't know where the summer went, but here we are the first day of October! I'm afraid that if I snooze it will be time for Santa and I will have missed the pumpkins, jack-o-lanterns, candy corn, and trick-or-treaters (not that we have any trick-or-treaters where we live LOL)! I pieced ONE leaf block yesterday (I think that puts me up to 5 blocks total so far), and got most of a crocheted dish cloth made. I had never even seen a crocheted cotton dish cloth until several years ago at a friend's house, and that got me started on using them. Since I don't get out to many festivals, I have a hard time finding them, so I decided some years ago that I could make my own. I think I may have made one or two at that time, and then moved on to something else (that short attention span disorder that I have LOL) . Now I need some dish cloths, so I'm trying to whip up a few for myself....along with a couple for a friend of mine and a sister. I've already been out on the porch with my first cup of coffee crocheting. :) (And no I didn't just get up....that was a couple of hours ago *G*) I've been thinking about all of this fabric that I have. Down time (which is what I'm supposed to be having right now) has led me to thinking that it's time for me to STOP buying all of this quilting fabric and books and use up some of what I have. And I do have a LOT. So much so that I have stuff piled up in the floor of my sewing room, room next to the sewing room, and my fabric closet (which is a walk-in and you CAN'T walk in it!!!!!). And no more room to put any of it where it should go!!! It's all beginning to weigh me down. Sometimes I feel buried by all of this hobby stuff. My O/C disorder is really really prevalent in this regard. LOL Too bad I don't seem to have that O/C disorder when it comes to house cleaning and things that really need to be done!!! LOL So I'm setting October as my beginning of not buying anymore irregardless of what my best quilt buddies---Glorie and Evonne-- are buying and tempting me with. And now I have to add all of my blogging buddies---I love reading everyone's blog, see those lovely quilts, some of which I know are kitted, see those luscious new fabrics that are out, and so I'm even more exposed to all of those goodies that I WANT!! I buy and then I always feel soooo guilty for however long it takes to leave my mind. I think it would be different for me if I were actually working all of this stuff up---making one quilt or topper right after another--but I'm not doing that. I spend most of my time THINKING about making them If I spent HALF as much time actually cutting and sewing as I do dreaming over all of these patterns and fabrics, well, law, I would have PILES of quilts!! LOL Time for turning over a new leaf LOL. Time for a change. Just like going from Summer to Fall. :) Time for Glorie and Martha and those other quilter friends of Glorie's (you know who you are!!! LOL) to come to Ships' Landing for a quilting retreat!!! The goal will be "stashbusting" for me, and you guys can work on anything you want! :) After the middle of October will be best because I like to cook for my company, and right now I can't eat my favorite foods, so we have to wait until I can eat too!!! LOL So, Glorie, start working on them (or at least start picking a date when YOU can come play with me)!

6 comments:

Jeanne said...

What a cute runnner! And the colors in yesterday's tumbler quilt are great, too. I still don't have decorations out -- just the basics so far, and fall's getting away from me! :(

I know what you mean about too much THINKING about wonderful quilt projects and not enough DOING ...

Jeanne

Rabbit Stitchings said...

Love that quilt!!! The blue in the background just set the whole thing off I think... very nice :O)...

meggie said...

When I read your blog about too much thinking, it might have been written by me! My GOM groans & tells me if I live to be 100 I will never use all my stash- & he doesnt know about some of it!!haha.

I love that Fall Wall quilt, the purple is luscious!
Lucky you, just going into Autumn, as we call it. We are just into spring, which is a very fickle season here- hot one day, cold the next. Still, it is better than Summer, which I am dreading.

Good luck on your health front!

Jenni @ Fairybread said...

Angie and Meggie - my thought exactly! I'm thinking you have both hijacked my thoughts. If only I could redirect my OCD to housecleaning and exercising, I sould be happy. I am trying to readjust my thinking to see myself as a Quilter and Fabric Collector - cuts the guilt level!!

Passionate Quilter said...

Hey--I'm with you on this one! I do get a lot done, but I still think/read/and look at others more than I should! I think Judy's one hour challenge will be a good start.
Good luck with your temporary diet. I keep trying, but without being accountable to anyone, I slip into, "oh well, I start tomorrow" type thinking!

Patti said...

Love the pumpkin runner! That background color is smashing.

I think the key to what you said is that you spend half your time dreaming. If you just get to your machine and sew you probably won't be nearly so tempted by the new fabrics. I know for me shopping is often what I do when I'm not sewing - if I'm actively sewing on a few projects I'm much less likely to buy. For me getting started is the hardest. Sounds like you might be that way also. Once I finally get started then I don't want to stop for anything - including sleeping and eating! Limiting my computer time as also helped.

So - we are all holding you accountable for showing us some new works in progress very soon!