Wednesday, October 11, 2006

I'm Home!! :)

Yes, I'm back home. Got home yesterday afternoon about 3:00 p.m., a bit tattered around the edges, a LOT radioactive LOL, but in one piece. What an experience. As I'm typing this, I am wearing those thin latex gloves so I don't contaminate Randy's computer keyboard. :) And Dewey, Badger and Homer Kitty can't understand why Mom isn't loving all over them since she's been gone for days...but it's only for a week...one can do ANYTHING for a week, right??? I might was well go ahead and fill everybody in on what's going on (this is obviously not a quilty post, so all of my new quilting blog buddies feel free to skip this post LOL) since most of my family and friends now know that I have a blog and check in to see what I'm up to. I have a large mass on my left thyroid. My heart has been "flipping out" :) for about a year now, so the endocrinologist put me on a beta blocker to slow the heart, put me on an iodine-free diet for 2 weeks, and sent me on Monday and yesterday for a 2-day iodine uptake study. As luck would have it, I have the Graham genes (Nita, be sure and tell Barbara that she's NOT the only one of us with these messed-up genes our parents bequeathed to us LOL), my situation is, according to the nuclear med doctor "complex". The levels did not come back as high as they evidently hoped they would, I do have a "hot nodule" which may or may not be malignant, so they gave me the highest dose of radiation (pill form) that they could give me without putting me in the hospital and doing even higher doses of radiation. Now, it's just a matter of letting time pass and see if the radiation has eradicated the mass. I have a dr. appt. on Oct. 24th to see how things are progressing. As my endocrinologist told me two weeks ago, this will be a long, drawn-out process for me. Unfortunately, he couldn't just put me on a thyroid med and send me on my way with everything under control. :( But, hey, us Grahams are "hardy stock"!!! LOL So, there you have it, in a nutshell. I'm really glad to have that part of the journey behind me and to be home. Now, let's see if I can get some of this mess that's called my home picked up, straightened up, put away, etc., LOL. I really did leave things in a bit of a mess when I left on Sunday. :) I have 13 of my leaves done for my hour-a-day leaf quilt. Will take a picture soon and post it. I hope to get back to that within the next couple of days. The leaves are taking me a while to do as I'm making each leaf individually. The alternate block will go much faster as it's only 2 fabrics and I can speed cut and sew. The biggest problem with this health mess that I have is that it has really cut my energy level waaayyy down---and I was NEVER a very high energy person anyway!! ROFL Maybe I should just take to my bed -- with quilt books and mags, of course!!! ROFL

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gosh, Angie, I know this must be scary and frustrating. My thoughts and prayers are with you, and I'm glad you have a project for when you have enough energy and quilt books and magazines for when you don't.

Pam said...

Good to see you back. Sounds like you have been through alot with the test and radiation. Rest as much as you need without feeling bad - those unfinished projects will always be there waiting!

computerpeach said...

glad you are back - my thoughts are with you.

Libby said...

Glad you are back and right back to quilting *s* Hope this treatment is just what you need and all well be determined fine at your upcoming appointment.

Suze said...

Glad to see you home again.

The only problem with taking to your bed with quilt books is the list of "MUST DO" quilts you will make............

Sweet P said...

Rest as much as you can and only quilt when you can. Remember quilting is not a race. It is meant to be enjoyed. And quilting includes reading quilt mags and books and "planning" more quilts.

We're here for you when you need positive thoughts.

Jenni @ Fairybread said...

You could call your leaf quilt "Nuclear Plant" or some other silly name. I think there is a lot to be said for a day or two in bed with your quilt books - you will have had some 'mental' trauma as well as physical tiredness, so a bit of R & R wouldn't hurt IMHO.

Tonya R said...

So sorry you're having to go through this.That's awful not being able to cuddle your kitties when you're not feeling well. I understand about being a low energy person - that's me too.

Laurie said...

Angie, how stressful for you! I'll hope and pray that everything works itself out without any further trauma on your part and that you're back to your normal self in no time!

Finn said...

Hi Angie, glad that you are back home again...and so sorry that the news is still 'so up in the air'.

I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers and pray for a good outcome for you.
In the mean time, do take what time you need to rest as well as being somewhat active. I'm sure waiting is the hardest part. Sending big hugs, Finn