Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Ready, Set, Go




Applique, that is. :~p This morning was COLD, heavy frost, and so foggy I could barely see the barn from here. It was so frosty it looked like it had snowed. I got several awesome pictures of the bluebirds, tho, checking out the nesting box. There were 4 males, and several females that I saw. It was really cute, they looked like they were drawing straws to see which couple got the 'house'. :D

I actually got a project prepped and ready for hand-applique, which I'm planning to start working on in a few minutes. I got Randy off to Florida today, so I have from now until Saturday afternoon to get some chores done, AND some time in my 'playroom'. LOL I also started trying to crochet another hat last night with the wool yarn that I ordered before Christmas. I really really want to make one and try felting it. But you see, I'm a beginner crocheter, and altho I have found some awesome websites with tutorials/instructions, I really just know basic stitches. And every time I think I've found a pattern that's simple, I run into another stitch that I can't figure out...like...Front Post Double Crochet. The DC I know, but I really need a warm body here to demonstrate how to do the stitch. :) So, I unraveled the yarn ONE MORE TIME, and started ANOTHER pattern that I found on the 'net. We shall see...

I'm really really bad at finishing projects. I like starting them but...well, I've decided to be like May Britt. If I want to start something, I'm going to start it. So what if it ends up being a WISP (i.e., Work In Slow Process). At least I'm never bored cause I have enough projects to start to last me two or three lifetimes.......now with that prelude, I'm going to join May Britt, Nadine and Darlene in appliquing a 6" block a week from the book Applique Designs. I'm trying to decide if I want to use Christmas colors (red/green/gold/maybe a bit of purple), or 30s fabric, hmmmm, will have to ponder colors some more, but I'm going to go for it.

I'm also prepping those redwork snowmen blocks that Norma and Linda J are doing. I'm planning to do them in blue rather than red too.

Now, no pressure here to post pics. I'm just going to start nice and easy. It's supposed to be fun, and I always hesitate to commit with my blogger friends because I know that I'll end up feeling bad when I don't constantly have a new block to post a picture of but...hey....just remember that I suffer from SEVERE ADD!!! ROFL

The fire and the couch are calling me to come sew so that's where I'll be for the rest of the evening if you need me. LOL

14 comments:

Darlene - Dazed Quilter said...

Yippee, you're going to join us in the Applique Delights challenge. This going to be so much fun. I've been considering 30's for mine but am still a bit out on a limb. I've been teasing Nadine about my color scheme. LOL

I'm coming to sew with you - ok???? LOL

Libby said...

Crochet (and knitting) causes me to turn into all thumbs. I'm so glad I didn't have that trouble with quilting -- what would I do with my days *s*

TJ said...

Gosh Girl...you are so lucky..a clean play room, a ton of projects, time to sew, and a husband on the road....I hate (lol) you....missed you too....have fun.... I am just envious...Your Friend Toni..I am sending snow dreams to you...

DubiQuilts - Debbi said...

You are always busy and when you do finish a project you do great work.

We had fog last week and still no snow in Chicago. The bluebird photo in very interesting with the fog in the background and the colors of the bluebird stand out.

Enjoy the fire and couch!

Carol said...

That bluebird is just wonderful...we never get those down here in Orlando. We have lots of cardinals this year and a robin or two that I saw yesterday. Thanks for sharing.

May Britt said...

Then we were four in the challenge :) I am so curious what colours you and Darlene choose. I have seen the first block from Nadine. I was thinking about making a list in the sidebar and link all my blocks there.....perhaps. I choose my red, green and yellow from a finished applique design quilt I saw some time ago. But I would love to make it in repro's too. LOL I can't start another one now.... I'll continue on the one I have started.

KCQuilter said...

Oooh, love your bluebird! We have a bluebird nesting box in our back yard and every year we see a scout, but alas! those @#$% sparrows always beat the bluebirds to the punch. Oh, well, sparrows gotta have a pad too. Wish I could advise on your crocheted hat but I, too, do only the basic stitches. One of my goals is to progress beyond scarves, afghans, granny squares, and flowers LOL!

McIrish Annie said...

I have started knitting a hat for my son THREE TIMES this past weekend. Dropped stitches or screwed up the pattern and had to UNKNIT! I think I'm on the right path now but I feel your Pain!! LOL.

I love your philosophy about starting projects and maybe finishing them. It is the process that gives us JOY! Although it is nice to see the end product, the process is what keeps us going and gives us pleasure. and isn't that what it's all about??

Dawn said...

Planning projects is my favorite part. That is what causes me though to buy too much! I love that picture of the bluebird!

Lea said...

I love your pics, especially the sweet little bluebird!!! Things have been so warm here in NC we can only live our winters through others pics!!

Barb said...

Wish I could help you with your crochet. I taught myself a million years ago. Honestly, all you need is one simple little "how to" book that shows you the stitches step by step.

Boy that fire sounds good. What I wouldn't give for a fireplace!

meggie said...

I love that pic of the little Blue bird. I would love to see a real one.
Good luck with your projects.
I have broken my resolve to start sewing today,--- we went to a Garage sale, & I got 18 new quilting mags for $3!! Who could resist that!!
So I have been choosing things to make, instead of making! Haha.

Helen said...

What pretty birds those bluebirds are. We don't get them here in NZ. It's a good feeling having a clean sewing area to start a new project.
I like "works in slow progress" can I put that in my club's newsletter? I haven't heard that one before.

Emmie said...

well i loved that blue bird ....its awesome.... that photo is like a reflect of your artistic mind....hope fully u will end up with your project pretty successfully ... u can well check out My Blog sometime let me know if u have liked !!!