Saturday, January 06, 2007

Today It's A Cardinal





It's funny how 'things' happen. Morah commented on my post from yesterday with the Bluebirds that she has cardinals that live at her house in the summer. I had been outside this morning watching this BRIGHT red cardinal. I first noticed two of them in a tree near the house, but of course, by the time I got my camera they were gone. I got a phone call and was standing on the porch talking when I noticed a cardinal in the yard by the storage building. I was able to get a couple of fairly good pictures of him. It's such a grey day, and with the building as a backdrop too, he shows up good if you click on him to enlarge it. :)

The small pile of fabrics are some Thimbleberrie fat quarters that I've been trying to decide if I want to use in the "Applique Design" blocks. If I don't soon make up my mind and get started I'll be doing 6 a week instead of 1 a week. LOL As much as I keep thinking about my 30s fabrics, I have to admit that I'm leaning toward scrappy, and I can just pull fabrics to suit the block and my fancy. I'll use one background for all of them, I think. I did sit and applique a bit last night...well, until I lost one of the angel's shoes ;o) and didn't want to cut another one as I knew that as soon as I did the other one would turn up. And yes, it did, when I was heading to bed and turning off my tree lights (yes, the tree's still up--minus half of the ornaments). Now how that tiny little plaid shoe got over by the tree is a mystery. ;0

Finn's post last night was about the wierd weather. I had just visited Lois' blog over at Quilt Contemplation, and she was saying that she just can't get into sewing. I've had 3 days that I had hoped to get lots of chores done, as well as lots of sewing. Nope, didn't happen. Just could not settle down. Then when I read Finn's post this morning, I said "YES!!", that's it! This weather has messed up biorythms and all that stuff. LOL Made my brain even more scattered and skittish than it already is (and that's bad enough!). BTW, for those of you who aren't familiar with Finn and her blog (Pieces from my Scrapbag), you really should go check her out. She is such an excellent writer (she reminds me of my sister, Flan, who has that knack for being able to write and have it just flow and you want to just sit and read and read and you hate to see the "end" approaching ;p), and can just put it out there, and it is what I've spent all this time trying to put into words. :) Okay, I know I'm rambling, so I'll hush. Anyway, if you haven't been to visit Finn, you really should go visit her.

The snowman is one that I made last year. I really enjoyed making him, as I recall. Okay, I'm out of here. I need to go for a walk now. :o)

18 comments:

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Bluebirds-- and daffodils up here, too! Strange indeed. 66 degrees on Jan. 6. Your Thimbleberries are very pretty, and I love your snowman.

Lois R. said...

Love your quilted snowman. I'm wishing we had some snow here so we could make a real one! Far too warm here for this time of year... seems unnatural.

meggie said...

The weather seems to be a worry all around!
We seem to have our usual hot summer, though not as hot perhaps, as it usually gets.
Love that inviting pile of fat quarters!

Quilting Kim said...

Angie - Your snowman quilt is just too cute. I usually drag all of my snowman stuff out in January, but today it's 73-degrees -- maybe I should just put out a few puddles of water, because that's what a snowman would look like here.

Holly said...

Hi Angie - thanks for visiting me over at my place :)

I love your snowman. Looking forward to seeing what scrappy piece you are going to make with your 1930's fabrics. I had a hard time choosing a project until I set my mind to the Dahlia.

I enjoy the pictures of the birds.

Su Bee said...

I've never seen a real cardinal - they're really small, aren't they? In pictures they seem as big as jays. How beautiful they are, no wonder they're so prized.
(Thank you for your good thoughts!)

Morah said...

Funny thing. I commented yesterday on having cardinals in the summer and this morning I heard one of them chirping outside. Now realize that I always notice the cardinals chirps...I even have a stuffed one that sings when you squeeze him, but I haven't heard them for a long time. Until this morning, after I commented on your blog!

Dawn said...

Now cardinals I see - but they are always beautiful! I think we all get in those quilting funks, heaven knows I was in a BIG one in December! I'm just now starting to get out of it!

Darcie...Quilting By Darcie said...

Oooh! Thanks for sharing pics of your cardinal! Our school's mascot is a cardinal...and I've never seen a REAL one before!

Libby said...

Can't wait to see the quilt that comes from that yummy little stash of fabrics.

Nancy said...

Oh, my favorite bird was the Cardinal when we lived in Texas, we miss them and the Bluejays.
Nancy in MT

teodo said...

The place where you live should be very beautifull and really quite.ciao ciao

Tazzie said...

I've always been fascinated by Cardinals since I saw some on a Hoffman fabric. We don't have them here. We're having strange weather patterns here too ... must be a worldwide phenomenon.
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

Screen Door said...

So much to talk about..... I love the snowman quilt... the mittens are my favorite part. Cool fat quarters. The love of fabric is one reason why I quilt. I'm always bringing my new fq's into work. They inspire me to get the "unfun" stuff done where I can go home to the good stuff. I work with guys, so I working on them appreciating them. I love the bird talk. It seems like cardinals are more scarce all the time... precious birds.

Barb said...

I love these bird photos you're posting. I miss my hummingbirds. One of my favorite things about winter ending is their return.

I love the snowman, too. So sweet.

You know, I made my first grandchild a grandmother's fan quilt and I used 30's fabrics. I really should get Krissy to bring it down so I photograph it and post it. I was quite proud of how it came out. I have another one halfway finished for my other daughter when she has her first child someday. This makes me want to get it out and finish it.

Meredith said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog. We had warm weather for about a week in N.J. now winter has found us. Let us know what you decide to do with the Thimbleberries fabrics.

Dannielle said...

I have never seen a real bluebird before! So cute! It makes me want to sew a little felt bluebird :)

I really like your snowman quilt. I also really like Glorie's gingerbread men (I read back a ways). I have a *thing* for gingerbread men.

Thanks for weighing in on my picture frames. I think I'm leaning yellow ;-)

Candy Duell said...

Oh, I love your cardinal pictures! Also, your snowman is just as cute as it can be.