Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Warning--Heavy Ramble Ahead

I have been caught up in the struggles of a young man fighting to live since a car accident on December 18, 2006. He lives on the opposite side of the country, and has pulled through very serious injuries, oh so slowly, by baby steps and searing pain and agony. He's still in the hospital in a very precarious state, and he still has many mountains to climb. Last summer, I landed in a blog titled "Molly's Page", a blog of a young (18 years old) girl who was so traumatically and seriously injured on the night of her Senior prom. That girl and her family absolutely humbled me in my daily life with whatever 'perceived' problems or struggles that might have been going on in my life at that point. I am here to tell you, people, that I have no idea of what a 'bad' day is compared to these young people. I have no idea what 'faith' or 'courage' or 'strength' really means in light of what these families have gone through and are still going through. Reading about Molly and her daily struggles, and now Mark, has just really made me stop in my tracks and consider my life, my good health, my many many blessings. It also sends me reeling back into those questions that I've never yet found any answers to (and probably won't in this lifetime), and that I've carried with me for what seems like all of my life. Questions about life--questions and fears about death--did 'we' choose these paths in another realm before we landed here in this body (I'll never forget the first time that I read the book "Embraced by the Light" and how angry it made me--I've since gone back to it many times, and each time it comforts me a bit more), how can some seem to be able to bear soooo much with such grace, and some seem to hardly be able to struggle under what is seemingly the lightest of burdens...See, I forewarned you--RAMBLES AHEAD--and ones that are heavy and not easily read. Feel free to skip this post. I have no idea where it will end...it may not end...it may just fade away. I am just working on releasing some heart-felt stuff that feels like it's dammed up in my chest. Any time I read of accidents like these I naturally go back, back, back to Eric...and Steve...Maybe I will just go have a good cry in front of the woodstove, and then move on to some chores. I'll be back later.

6 comments:

Libby said...

The mysteries of life, death and how we all cope so differently -- leaves my head shaking, too.

DubiQuilts - Debbi said...

When I think my life sucks I remember others have it much worse then I do.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

There's so much we can't ever understand, but we can take something away... we can learn about courage and strength and grace and living our lives with open hearts full of compassion and empathy. That's what you're doing! Peace.

jenclair said...

There is always a bit of "There, but by the Grace of God, go I," which can put our own difficulties in perspective. Even more important, though, is the inspiration that those who struggle, with grace and dignity, provide. Some important concepts to consider in this post...

Marcie said...

Angie, I just want to give you a big hug. You are such a sweetheart. I hope we get to meet someday, then I will hug you for real!

Darcie said...

You've got such a warm and generous heart, Angie.

A family close to us had two incredibly tragic losses within 4 months...a son and a dad. At the funeral of the dad...the priest said something like "...God's path for us isn't always what we have in mind." It's given me something to think about and hopefully remember....

Hugs to you!