Thursday, April 26, 2007

They're Baaaccck!


The hummingbirds, that is! :D (They arrived "home" last Sunday! I was so excited to see them!) This little fella was just hilarious! He would perch there are on the crook for the longest time, and chase off any other hummingbird that dared to come near. There's a feeder hanging on the crook that you can't see in the picture. He's done this on and off every day this week. Just too cute. :D

It's been raining a slow, steady rain all afternoon. The best kind of rain. The forecast was for strong storms but we've been blessed with a good, soaking rain. :) And since it's been raining, I've been inside. I have done NO sewing, none, nada! Some day I'll get back to that. :( I put the pieced borders on a tablerunner, oh, I don't know, what? a week ago, maybe?, and realized that I put one on wrong so I just quit and haven't been back in the sewing room since. :P Instead, I've spent every minute, from the time I've rolled out of bed :D until time to get back in the bed! outside. I haven't planted the first veggie seed this spring, and I can't decide if it's too late to fool with it or not. Every Spring I have visions of this huge veggie garden with abundant produce all summer long, and enough to can for the Winter, too, ROFL but I haven't managed to actually get that dream to come true yet. :) I won't be satisfied, tho, until I put at least a few seeds in the ground, even if it's just a couple of squash, tomatoe, and cucumber seeds. :)

We have a storage building that I had been wanting moved closer to the house, and that was finally accomplished, so I've been playing in it, moving in flower pots and dirt and tools and all those fun, outside things that I had piled up on the back porch. I must say, the porch really looks much better without all of my clutter on it, and Randy is soooo happy to have it cleared off. LOL

Thanks to all of you who shared your friendship, concern and hugs with me over the tragedy at VA Tech. I still reel from the shock of it, and I know that the town and school will never be quite the same, but hopefully will become even better and stronger over time.

15 comments:

Darlene said...

Hello, my friend, nice to "see" you! Keeping you on my mind!

KCQuilter said...

So glad to see you back posting--I've missed you! I know the events in Virginia have been on your mind. Veggie gardening sounds like great therapy. Hang in there.

Vicki W said...

What a great photo! Every year I try to get good hummingbird photos and it's nearly impossible! "Our" hummers are also just arriving back - a little late this year.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I need to get my hummer feeders out! I had a suprise visitor this week... check out my latest post! :) My dentist told me a few weeks ago that digging in the dirt actually releases some sort of chemical that relaxes humans better than Prozac. I'm not sure about the science behind that but I know for sure that it does have a therapeutic effect on me! Enjoy!!

Tazzie said...

Hummingbirds are just darling, we don't have them here. I'm so glad you're enjoying your rain - we have finally got two days of good soaking rain - hopefully our drought is broken :-)
Too funny - I just noticed your message, we're on line at the same time on the other side of the world!
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

Libby said...

Go ahead and plant something - it's not too late *s* I have the same garden dream every year but I don't have any space to fulfill it. So I just stick things in the flower beds *s* So far things are growing and there are some blossoms . . . can hardly wait.

Finn said...

Hi Angie, good to see your post again. Hurray for the 'hummers'! I haven't seen any here in WI, but it's early. We often still have snow in April and May.

Do plant something. Being in touch with the earth will re-affirm your connect to it, and help the healing of your soul. As with 9/11, I'm not sure we will ever be the same after these tragedies. Sending big hugs, Finn

meggie said...

Thankyou for sharing the little bird! How sweet.
Glad to 'see' you Angie, & thanks for visiting me again.

teodo said...

Hummingbird, that we call "colibrì", is very nice and I'm happy that has come near your house.
Thanks for the picture, you are a good photographer.
ciao ciao

sMC said...

thanks for visiting Anjie. Your birds are delightful. Do you plant by the moon, I am trying to covince The Scot that you need to plant when the moon is waxing. Would love to see some rughooking photos on your blog... aubirdwoman

Nancy in MT said...

Love the pic of the wonderful hummingbird, one of my favorite birds.

sMC said...

thanks for commenting on where to see photos of your rugs. Very inspiring, I really must have a try. u no Jill of all trades Master of none...http://birdwomanau.blogspot.com

Shelina said...

It's too early to plant here yet, but I am looking forward to it this year. I have lots of motivation in hte spring to plant things, but in the summer, I'm not much at keeping up with the weeding and such.
The hummingbird shot is great!

Morah said...

Your Hummer picture is great. They migrate through here in the spring and fall. I have bushes that hummers like in front of my sewing room. One day I counted 10 between in my bushes!

comicbooklady said...

Thanks for visiting my blog :) To answer your question, the pattern was provided by robyn at her workshop: How to create your own folk art applique. I don't know if she ever published the pattern in a book or elsewhere. I have a photo of her sample on my March 11 post. BTW, I love all the photos of birds on your blog!
Cheers!