Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Thunder and Lightning, Oh My!

I thought I was dreaming a wonderful dream---only I hadn't gone to sleep yet!! And poor Badger was having kaniption fits. My poor little fella HATES storms---and his Momma loves them!! :) And the rain came--- along with the wind and a fantastic light and sound show. I actually got to fall asleep listening to the rain beat against the windows and running down the downspout. It was absolutely heavenly. I can't even remember the last date we had rain. I know it's been several weeks, and then it was only a one-day event. It's been so dry we will take all we can get, tho...and yet we feel for those we've had way more than their share of rain and flooding. And Ike is on his way bringing more wet to those southern states. I can only hope that some of it will make its way up here. I've been out sorting and pulling some weeds. :) I have no flowerbeds---only weedbeds---with an abundance and quite a variety of weeds, so I seized the moment and decided to sort out a few of those. ;) I have been doing some beginner's knitting...made a simple poncho and some two-stick booties :D. I also made a small appliqued Halloween banner. I need to take a picture of it. It isn't quilted yet (of course not!) but it won't take long to give it some blanket stitches and simple quilt stitches. :) I'm really in the mood to cut and sew some fabric. I love love love Autumn and I want to make one of everything I see that has pumpkins and apples and crows and leaves and scarecrows and fodder shocks and and and --well, I guess you get that picture, huh? ROFL--all of those scrumptious colors of Fall. :D I always go into nesting mode when the season is changing to Fall (now if these darn 90 deg temps would just scoot on out of here I could fire up the stove!! ;D). I've started some sourdough bread starter again, I even made a fresh apple cake recently. I've been making pizza dough for homemade pizzas, and I found me a recipe for biscuits baked in a cast iron skillet. I canned 16 quarts and 16 pints of tomatoes week before last, and I'm ready to start using them in soups and stews and spaghetti sauce. :) The Tennessee Valley Authority, that controls our lake level, has left our lake up at a level that we can actually leave our boat in for some Fall fishing, and we've gone out the last several evenings to fish and soak in this lovely scenery. Randy has caught several largemouth bass each time we've been out, and one of them was a whopper. I'm trying to add a picture of it but blogger is being stubborn about it. I even caught a largemouth but he was only about 14". :) We always release them back into the lake, but one of these days we're going to keep some and have a fish fry. And as always, I'm still feeding and watching the hummingbirds (they're thinning out, I know they've already started their long journey) and my goldfinches and bluebirds. Will have to do photos another time---blogger just refuses to upload them. :/

4 comments:

Elaine Adair said...

Glad you finally received that welcome moisture! Hope things are OK in your neck of the woods. That fishing sounds so very pleasant.

Libby said...

Lake fishing in the evenings sounds like a wonderful time . . . oh heck - leave the poles and home and just enjoy the water *s*

Mrs.P said...

Hey there so glad you found me! It was good to see you too,Hope all is going well sounds like youve been a busy bee! You should be able to get on my myspace page wiht the link on my blogger, ive got lots of pics there too!

Dorothy said...

I love to hear the rain against the window pane too. We've had a lot of wet weather here, but no fantastic light shows, just dreary, gray skies.
Can't wait to see more of your nature photos.