Saturday, January 31, 2009

Cold but Beautiful Saturday

It's a gorgeous day here in TN...deceptively so with the sun shining so brightly. Makes one think that it's a warm Spring day, but the wind is chill, and I'm huddled up next to the woodstove. :) I've had some queries as to how Badger is doing. He's still hanging in there. The past few days he's been a bit worse in his disorientation, and I think his hearing is getting worse. He has a hard time following my voice and finding me now. In light of his not being able to 'find' me, I'm virtually tied to his small area of sensibility. His voice has changed so much, and when he can't 'find' me, he just sits and makes the saddest sound you've ever heard. I am more and more confined at home unless Randy is here. If he's home, I grab that opportunity to run out for groceries, meds, etc. However, nothing lasts for ever, and this won't either. His appetite, however, has not diminished one whit! He's a whopping 21 lbs. now, which presents another set of problems. His weight gain, and Dewey's serious walking issues, have me carrying BOTH of them in and out. Hence, my lower back issues have revved up into high gear. This is definitely not the 'fun' part of having pets, but I am grateful that they are small enough that I CAN pick them up. What would I do if they were larger dogs? Badger had adjusted quite well to his blindness, but he seems to be losing the ability to 'sense' that he's about to walk into furniture or corners that he's been able to avoid up until about three days ago. He breaks my heart by getting 'caught' in corners and he can't find his way out. He and Dewey both are having a hard time letting me know that they need to go out, so unless I pay constant attention and take them out every 2-3 hours, I'm washing floors. It's not an easy situation, but Badger still has too much life left for me to be able to make a decision to put him to sleep. If and when his pain level gets worse, then that would be the time for me to consider that. Until then, until I KNOW that he's ready to go, I will continue to take care of him and love him.

8 comments:

Libby said...

Sounds like each of you is adjusting to all the changes that life can throw your way. Cherish each moment with you precious pups . . . . now is the time to build up all the kisses and cuddles *s* You are in my thoughts.

McIrish Annie said...

It is hard to watch anyone age. But it is part of life. you are doing a wonderful thing for your doggies.

Mary said...

Your description of Badger getting lost in corners is just a premonition of Chloe. I took her for a walk today for the first time in a few months and the poor girl didn't really know where she was. Her nose took her all around with me as her guide. She isn't blind but getting there.

Hang in there, Angie.

Mary

meggie said...

What a sad time for you, with your beloved dogs. I think it is wonderful that you are prepared to give them so much when they are nearing the end.

DubiQuilts - Debbi said...

I have been reading your blog to catch up and I am sending my blessing and prayers for you, Randy, Badger and Dewey. You will know what is right for Badger when the time comes. My dog Belle knew when it was her time and she let us know.

Quilting Kim said...

Angie - My heart is breaking for you as you tend to Badger's needs. They are our friend and family and you will know in your heart when the time is right. I will keep you in my prayers when and if you have to make that decision.

julieQ said...

I am so sorry...my thoughts are with you...we have a very similar situation playing out with our little Rusty dog.

Anonymous said...

I happened upon your blog - and it is terrible what you are going through. We had that happen also. Our poor Schnauzer had diabetes and went blind. It is too difficult to live through. We put our dog to sleep soon after he was unable to walk without problems. We sympathize. The dog is in a better place now - filled with sweet smells, butterflies, grass to chew on and a beautiful heaven to live in.