Friday, June 04, 2010

My Friend's Sister

I just spent the afternoon with my friend, Flannie, and her sister. This was the first time I had met Norma. What a delightful woman! I felt an immediate bond with her---and unlike her sister, my dear friend Flannie, Norma has started quilting within the last three years!!! What fun, to actually have another 'quilter' in the house. They called this a.m. I was in the midst of hauling loads of old hay from the barn on my 'haulin' ass buggy :D' to cover an area that I want to plant lavendar in. Hot, sweatie (and it was only 8:30 a.m. for goodness sake!), filthy, and they want to know can they come pick me up and go to lunch in RogVegas. Absolutely!! Just give me enough time to grab a shower! Not to worry, it would be 12:00 or 12:30 before they got to my house. Okay, great...I can finish the hay-haulin and get my sticks (read with a hopeful voice 'trees') watered. Lunch at O'Henry's was scrumptious!! We were all three in the mood for a cheeseburger and fries, and oh my, was it good....and so were the fried dill pickles and fried mac'n'cheese. Yeah, yeah, yeah, it was a 'low-calorie', good-for-you kinda lunch. :D We were strolling leisurely back to the truck, laughing like the crazies that we are, and here comes Hannah Rose and Maggie Mae in their gold Caddy! And Hannah Rose was sportin' lavendar bangs!!!!! :D What a hoot!!!! She is definitely 'stylin' now, girlfriends!! :D It was wonderful to see them both! Now that Hannah has officially retired from teaching, we will definitely be seeing more of each other, right, Hannah? :) What a sweet, soft-spoken delightful woman Norma is!!! She is one of those souls that I feel like I've known all of my life. We could have spent days, weeks.......talking fabric, quilt patterns, how to crochet rag rugs, etc. I actually felt kind of bad for Flannie cause Norma and I got so caught up (lost would be more accurate!) in my 'quilt stewdio' that she ended up on the porch by herself with coffee and the pups. ;) And of course, they both HAD to see the Flowbee (my hair cutting device that attaches to the vacuum cleaner :D, for those of you unfamiliar with the Flowbee). The afternoon literally flew by. It was such a sweet simple pleasure. A spontaneous afternoon delight :) The only 'bad' thing was that I missed a call from MY sister, Nita. I'll call you tomorrow, Nita! :)

5 comments:

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Sounds like the best of all possible afternoons... life is GOOD!

Carol said...

Sounds like the most perfect afternoon...FUN! FUN! FUN!

Donna said...

It's wonderful to find a friend like that. I'm so happy you all had a great time.

Hugs,
Donna

Hannah said...

Don't you just love days like that! We were sooo pleased that we got to see you, Flannie and meet Norma. I wish you could have heard the excitement in Maggie's voice when she spotted you in the parking lot! Yes, sister, you can bet we will see more of each other! I just might have to get you to teach me some of your felting, quilting, and rug tricks. Who knows, I may just give Martha Stewart a run for her money - now that I'm retired! LOL
Love you, girl.

Hannah (Rose)
BTW-the purple bangs are fading away. Guess I'll just wait to do the 'red, white and blue thang' for the 4th! :-)

julieQ said...

I am so glad you had a day where you could just relax, connect and enjoy!! Sounds like fun to me!!