Thursday, December 30, 2010

To Bless The Space Between Us at the Beginning of a New Year

The particular mind of the ocean
Filling the coastline's longing
With such brief harvest
Of elegant, vanishing waves
Is like the mind of time
Opening up shapes of days.

As this year draws to its end,
We give thanks for the gifts it brought
And how they became inlaid within
Where neither time nor tide can touch them.

The days when the veil lifted
And the soul could see delight;
When a quiver caressed the heart
In the sheer exuberance of being here.

Surprises that came awake
In forgotten corners of old fields
Where expectation seemed to have quenched.

The slow, brooding times
When all was awkward
And the wave in the mind
Pierced every sore with salt.

The darkened days that stopped
The confidence of the dawn.

Days when beloved faces shone brighter
With light from beyond themselves;
And from the granite of some secret sorrow
A stream of buried tears loosened.

We bless this year for all we learned,
For all we loved and lost
And for the quiet way it brought us
Nearer to our invisible destination.
John O'Donohue,
from To Bless the Space Between Us

5 comments:

Evonne said...

Angie, just wanted to say hope you had a Merry Christmas. I miss you.

Finn said...

Very lovely and thought provoking Angie. Wishing you all the best of blessing in the coming new year. Big hugs, Finn

carolina said...

Finn said it, lovely and thought provoking. I'm winding down the new year with words from Hal Borland and not sure my mind can take much more "provoking". Sweet photo you posted also:):)

Jayne said...

Angie, (also my sister's name!)

Thank you so much for your kind comments on my post yesterday. It meant so much to me. So glad to have made your acquaintance as a new blog friend and look forward to following you here. Happy New Year new friend.

Jayne

Beth said...

Hi, Angie. Thanks so much for dropping by my blog. I really like this poem and want to come back to read it again when I have more time to contemplate (I have a house full of guests right now). I also enjoyed the pictures in your earlier posts. I love birds, too, though my knowledge of them is a bit limited. We were thrilled to have a hermit thrush visit yesterday! It seemed like a gift from God.

A peaceful and blessed New Year to you!