Tuesday, January 01, 2013

A Clean Slate


"Old Years and New"
by
Edgar A. Guest

Old years and new years, all blended into one,
The best of what there is to be, the best of what is gone.
Let's bury all the failures in the dim and dusty past
And keep the smiles of friendship and laughter to the last.

Old years and new years, life's in the making still;
We haven't come to glory yet, but there's the hope we will;
The dear old year was twelve months long but now from it we're free,
And what's one year of good or bad to all the years to be?

Old years and new years, we need them one and all
To reach the dome of character and build its sheltering wall;
Past failures tried the souls of us, but if their tests we stood,
The sum of what we are to be may yet be counted good.

Old years and new years, with all their pain and strife,
Are but the bricks and steel and stone with which we fashion life;
So put the sin and shame away, and keep the fine and true,
And on the glory of the past let's build the better new.

12 comments:

Janet O. said...

I've always liked Edgar Guest's poems. Long before my internet days I went on a search through local bookstores to find a compilation of his work. I failed, and then I forgot about it. Wonder what I would find now. : )

Tabor said...

It is a shame that new generations may not know about him.

gpc said...

It's been years since I read this - thank you! (nice to meet you, I come to you through Stitchin By The Lake -- hi neighbor!)

Carol said...

That is wonderful! Thank you!
Happy! Happy New Year!

Linda H. said...

Hi neighbor! I'm visiting from Stitchin' by the Lake and just want to say that you have a nice blog. It looks like you received some great quilt-y Christmas presents. And good for you to have made a pillowcase for a child at Sandy Hook Elementary. Such a tragedy.

Have a happy 2013.

Mary said...

Thank you for sharing this poem. I had not seen it before, and it is so appropriate. I'm a first-time visitor via Stitchin' by the Lake and I enjoyed discovering your blog.

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Hey neighbour..looks like you had a great Christmas. love the black lab; used to have one years back...great dogs

StitchinByTheLake said...

Lovely poem! And I'd sure be interested in hearing what you think about the new quilt book you got by Kim Diehl. I have all of her books except that one but since she only co-authored it I wasn't sure if I wanted to buy it or not. Recommendation? blessings, marlene

FabricFascination said...

Happy New Year, and hi neighbor! I am visiting from Marlene's blog.

Martha said...

Just hopped over from Marlene's blog...and I enjoyed my visit. Looks like you had a great Christmas...Happy 2013.

Teresa F. said...

Hi Neighbor,
I'm visiting from Portugal.
Thank you for sharing such wonderful poem. Happy New Year.

Adrienne said...

Hi -
I stopped by to visit from Stitchin By The Lake. I love this poem. I'm a fan of Edgar Guest, for sure. I'll be back to visit and read more in the future.
~Adrienne~