Sunday, December 22, 2013

Satin Lotion from Woodwife's Journal

Intense Satin Lotion

for my trial batch, I chose 1 ounce as my "part"

Dave calls for 1 part solid oils  ~  I used 1/4 oz. cocoa butter, 1/4 oz. shea butter, 1/4 oz. illipe butter and 1/4 oz.                                     lanolin, all solid oils to make up 1 part.
Next on Dave's list are 2 parts liquid oils  ~  I used 1 oz. of an herbally infused olive oil that I use in my first aid salve, and 1/2 oz. almond oil, and 1/2 oz. avocado oil.
Dave's chart uses 1/3 part of an emulsifier, like beeswax  ~  that's what I used.
And last on the chart is 3 parts of distilled water  ~  because Mr. Wood is in a harsh work environment, I wanted to add something with a little bit of antiseptic and healing properties so I used 2 parts aloe gel and 1 part  witch hazel.

I put the oils and beeswax in a double boiler and melted them together.
Then I followed Dave' advice and allowed them to cool to approx. body temperature while I warmed the aloe gel and witch hazel up to about the same temp.
I blended them together with a hand held mixer until well mixed.

Then I creamed them together on high until they were thick.
This turned out to be more of a thick lotion than a cream so I put it in some little squeeze bottles that I had on hands.

I have made this a couple of times and everyone that I have shared it with loves it.  It has worked wonders on my dry and cracked skin.  

http://www.woodwifesjournal.com/2013/02/intense-satin-lotion.html?spref=fb

1 comment:

Q said...

Sounds devine!!!
Rose oil also is nice for moisture and scent...
I need your lotion this morning...it is 6 degrees....
brrr...