Friday, March 04, 2016

Mad Hatter March and Vulnerability

I just celebrated one of those Big 0 birthdays the latter part of February.  I have been here now for 60 years, and frankly it is totally mind-boggling.  It has led to some deeper thoughts and questions, hence the following quote, which I love:

                                           Vulnerability
"The only choice we have as we mature is how we inhabit our vulnerability;  how we become larger and more courageous and more compassionate through our intimacy with disappearance,  our choice is to inhabit vulnerability as generous citizens of loss,  robustly and fully,  or conversely, as misers and complainers,  reluctant and fearful,  always at the gates of existence, but never bravely and completely attempting to enter,  never wanting to risk ourselves,   never walking fully through the door."
David Whyte    Consolations

5 comments:

Janet O. said...

Great quotation. I will be there in a couple of years, and as I have watched my parent and in-laws age I have seen both sides of it. Learning life lessons I hope I remember when I get to that stage. : )

Tabor said...

Past that decade on the way to the next. It is challenging but we must learn to embrace change and compromise.

julieQ said...

Vulnerability is such a fascinating subject...to be that with dignity is a win! Hugs and happy birthday!

Michele Bilyeu said...

Congratulations, you made it and are still going forward one year at a time! Stay open, stay vulnerable...that's the secret to an open and loving heart..which I know yours truly is!

PS Hadn't known about David Whyte until he popped up via a little Wind Thread. Do you visit her blog, too? Love it, the quote, and you!

Joy Banks said...

LOVE this quote! And like Michele said.. I, too, think it was grace at windthread who introduced me to David Whyte... anyway this is sums up the growing-older state so perfectly...thank you for posting

Congrats on the Big Six-Oh!